25 Photos: CHURCH / Igreja de São Francisco, Castelo de Vide, Portugal

Click in the pictures, for open the photos or links

BUILDING / Fundação Nossa Senhora da Esperança, Castelo de Vide, PortugalBUILDING / Fundação Nossa Senhora da Esperança, Castelo de Vide, Portugal

Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)CHURCH / Igreja de São Francisco, Castelo de Vide, Portugal

CHURCH / Igreja de São Francisco, Castelo de Vide, PortugalCHURCH / Igreja de São Francisco, Castelo de Vide, Portugal
 
Alçado da Igreja de São Francisco de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church Elevation)


 



 

GOOGLE MAPS: OPEN MAP

Founded in 1585, at the expense of Gaspar de Mattos and his wife, Beatriz de Mattos, the Convent of Our Lady of the Conception, Friars Recoletos of the Order of St. Francis, was the first religious institution of this active field in Castelo de Vide (VIDEIRA, 1908, p 137).

The works of the church and convent dependencies lasted for about four years, during which time the building license of the then King Philip I was required, and the agreement of the Bishop of Portalegre, which seems to have placed some obstacles to the smooth progress of the works (TRINDADE, 1979, p.96). The history of this foundation is well documented in the Book of Tombo, through which we know that, in 1589, the friars already inhabited the convent. Nevertheless, in 1590, the institution arises with the denomination of Convent of Our Lady of the Conception, to which would have been dedicated.

In turn, the administration of the same was granted to the people, the Chamber and councilors, the landowner belonging to the Holy See (TRINDADE, 1979, p.96). The church that we know today, with nave and main chapel of rectangular plan, underwent a new campaign of works in the middle of century XVIII, as attests the date of 1748 patent in the portal. The facade of the temple was certainly remodeled at this time, since its composition reveals a language of Baroque characteristics, present in the portal, flanked by pilasters of Corinthian capitals, and top finning in fins, with central niche, from which the wide window topped by a scallop and lateral pinnacles emerges.

The elevation of this one of the temple confines directly with the cloister of the convent, of square plan and would arcaria of perfect return. Also in this space was made the intervention of the eighteenth century, since the small atrium, through which access to the cloister, and the interior of the convent, was covered by tiles eighteenth, with certainty of Lisbon office.

With a date dating back to 1748, these panels depict scenes from the Life of Saint Anthony (Miracle of the Donkey and Salvation of the Father) and, in the corners that surround the niche and the wooden structure that supports it, angels with instruments of martyrdom.

Later, after the extinction of the Religious Orders, in 1834, the convent was purchased by the brother of Dr. João Diogo Juzarte de Sequeira Sameiro, who in 1856 had instituted the Asilo dos Cegos, to work there the premises of this institution (Fat, 1935, p. The conventual planimetry was easily adapted to the needs of the blind, with the dormitories, the dining room, the office of the Directorate, the secretariat, and the primary, secondary, and music classes on the lower floor.

Already on the first floor, were the dependencies of the women, with the infirmary, the kitchen, the dispensary and the living room. The gardens, to the south, were used as a walking place. At the end of the 19th century (1895), basket-making workshops were set up to provide the blind with their own means of subsistence, enabling them to leave the Asylum and live integrated within society (GORDO, 1935) . (Rosário Carvalho)

 
Fundado em 1585, a expensas de Gaspar de Mattos e sua mulher, Beatriz de Mattos, o Convento de Nossa Senhora da Conceição, de frades Recoletos da Ordem de São Francisco, foi a primeira instituição religiosa deste âmbito activa em Castelo de Vide (VIDEIRA, 1908, p. 137).

As obras da igreja e dependências conventuais prolongaram-se durante cerca de quatro anos, durante os quais foi necessária a licença de construção do então rei Filipe I, e o acordo do Bispo de Portalegre, que parece ter colocado alguns entraves ao bom andamento dos trabalhos (TRINDADE, 1979, p. 96). A história desta fundação encontra-se bem documentada no Livro de Tombo, através do qual sabemos que, em 1589, os frades já habitavam o convento.

No entanto, em 1590, a instituição surge com a designação de Convento de Nossa Senhora da Conceição, a quem teria sido dedicado. Por sua vez, a administração do mesmo foi concedida ao povo, à Câmara e vereadores, pertencendo o senhorio à Santa Sé (TRINDADE, 1979, p. 96).  A igreja que hoje conhecemos, com nave e capela-mor de planta rectangular, sofreu nova campanha de obras em meados do século XVIII, como atesta a data de 1748 patente no portal.

A fachada do templo foi, com certeza, remodelada nesta época, dado que a sua composição revela uma linguagem de características barrocas, presente no portal, ladeado por pilastras de capitéis coríntios, e remate superior em aletas, com nicho central, a partir do qual nasce o amplo janelão encimado por uma vieira e pináculos laterais. O alçado deste do templo confina directamente com o claustro do convento, de planta quadrada e arcaria de volta perfeita.

Também neste espaço se fez sentir a intervenção do século XVIII, uma vez que o pequeno átrio, através do qual se acede ao claustro, e ao interior do convento, foi revestido por azulejos setecentistas, com certeza de oficina lisboeta. Com datação próxima de 1748, estes painéis representam cenas da Vida de Santo António ( Milagre do burro e Salvação do pai ) e, nos cantos que envolvem o nicho e a estrutura de madeira que o suporta, anjos com instrumentos de martírio. Mais tarde, já depois da extinção das Ordens Religiosas, em 1834, o convento foi adquirido pelo irmão do Dr. João Diogo Juzarte de Sequeira Sameiro, que em 1856 havia instituído o Asilo dos Cegos, para aí funcionarem as instalações desta instituição (GORDO, 1935, p. 117).

A planimetria conventual foi facilmente adaptada às necessidades dos invisuais, ficando no pavimento inferior os dormitórios, o refeitório, o gabinete da Direcção, a secretaria, e as aulas de instrução primária, secundária, e de música. Já no primeiro andar, situavam-se as dependências das mulheres, com a enfermaria, a cozinha, a dispensa e a sala de visitas.

Os jardins, a Sul, foram aproveitados como local de passeio. No final do século XIX (1895) foram criadas oficinas de fabrico de canastras, por forma a dotar os invisuais de meios de subsistência próprios, que lhes permitissem sair do Asilo e viver integrados no seio da sociedade (GORDO, 1935, p. 122). (Rosário Carvalho)