29 Photos: CHURCH / Igreja de Santiago Maior, Castelo de Vide, Portugal

Click in the pictures, for open the photos or links

CHURCH / Igreja de Santiago Maior, Castelo de Vide, PortugalCHURCH / Igreja de Santiago Maior, Castelo de Vide, Portugal

Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)
 
Igreja de Santiago Maior de Castelo de Vide, Portugal (Church)CHURCH / Igreja de Santiago Maior, Castelo de Vide, Portugal

CHURCH / Igreja de Santiago Maior, Castelo de Vide, Portugal
 
 



 
 
GOOGLE MAPS: OPEN MAP
 
Its tower appears in the drawing of Duarte de Armas, dated of about 1509-1510, although much raised in face of the real dimensions that it should present. It stands out from the casario that descends the hillside of the Castle along with the towers of the other parish churches of São João and Santa Maria da Devesa. The temple we are observing today is the result of a seventeenth-century campaign of works, valued by an eighteenth-century intervention that provided the interior with the altarpieces and altars it still preserves, and in particular, the work of stonework that involves the first chapel of the nave on the side of the Epistle.
 
It is no longer possible to determine what is left of the original church, although the whole area of ​​the baptismal chapel, interiorly with various gaps and, on the outside, not very symmetrical in relation to the main façade, may indicate that this was the primitive nucleus. This cloth of the frontier appears broader than it opposes and serves as the base to the bell tower. Between them, the elevation ends in gable, being opened by the vestibule, straight and granite frame, and by the window of the choir.
 
Only the cornice that ends the lintel of the portal, protruding and with lateral pinnacles stands out, and, in the center, a scallop of great dimensions surmounted by granite cross. The scallop, which evokes the church's dedication to St. James, is the most distinguishing element in this composition, but should not be confused with the Military Order symbol whose presence is unknown in this region. The side elevations are developed in several planes that suggest campaigns of works, very difficult to identify. In the interior, of single nave with several lateral altars, and deep chancel, it gains special interest the tiling coating of standard covering the space, other than the body dome and the baptismal chapel.
 
These are very common patterns in the seventeenth century, applied with extreme care, because the beams and friezes surround and integrate all the architectural elements already existing in the church, which include the ceiling beams. On the other hand, this relation between architecture and tile makes it possible to identify later works, such as the collateral altars and the imposing arch on the side of the Epistle, as early as the eighteenth century, because their placement forced the interruption of the tile sequence.
 
According to the Parish Memoirs, signed by the Prior Domingos de Figueiredo in 1758, the church had eight altars that today are still preserved in full or only partially. Thus, on the side of the Gospel, the chapel of St. Anthony of Lisbon is opened, to which the baptismal chapel with the granite sink opens. On the opposite wall, there are vestiges of the old altar of St. Gregory "where one does not say mass for having little vain". In this chapel of St. Anthony, a grave, on the pavement, allows the identification of its founder, that is, the lawyer António de Carvalho Bleo and his three women: ESTA SEPVLTVRA HE DO DE ANT DE CARVALHO BLEO NATVRAL DE NISA FEZ E ISTITVIO ESTA CHAPEL AND HOUSE QUI WITH LIANOR FEZ (?): SVIRMA: MOLHER: ISABEL TEMUDA 2ª BRIBADA GARCOA: 3rd: VIVEO YEARS: MISSING TO DAYS OF THE MONTH OF .DI.
 
The altar of Santa Teresa, which, according to the Prior Domingos de Figueiredo, was originally dedicated to Santa Apolonia, follows in the nave. Next to the triumphal arch, the collateral altar invokes the Lady of Amparo. On the opposite side, the altar of Christ Crucified and soon after the chapel of Santa Ana, now empty, but whose image originated from a hermitage with the same invocation that existed behind the Castle, but which had initially been dedicated to St. Benedict. The Chapel of the Lady of the Incarnation, whose arch of masonry worked and surmounted by the dove of the Holy Spirit, is praised in the Parochial Memories: "of stone carved to the modern one and Arc and with its rostrum of golden wood, and has four masses by the four feasts of the year that left her a devotee a estates that yield five thousand five hundred kings, each year. "
 
The pulpit, of rectangular plan, base in stonework and simple wooden grate, is located on the side of the Gospel, between the chapel of Saint Anthony and that of Saint Teresa. The main chapel is covered by a dome of four ribs set in corbels, whose closing stone shows a column lined by scallops, alluding again to St. James. On the high altar, in carving, the oil paintings represent Nossa Senhora do Livramento in the center, flanked by St. Matthew and St. John, topped by a semicircular finishing canvas with the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Finally, returning to the nave, the side door was certainly opened in the post-seventeenth century, as appears to demonstrate the marbled painting of the arch and the absence of tile surrounds. The same is true of the chorus, with a configuration different from that which is currently known, and only partially covered by tiles. Completely lined with a 17th century pattern tile, the Church of São Tiago constitutes, with the Church of Nossa Senhora da Alegria and Senhora da Penha, a significant testimony of the taste for this type of ceramic application, with patterns very similar to each other, in the village of Castelo de Vide.
 
Although it is not known the date of the original construction of the church of St. James, it was already mentioned in the "Catalog of all the churches, commendations and monasteries that were in the kingdoms of Portugal and Algarves, for the years 1320 and 1321, with the stocking of each of them "(ALMEIDA, 1972, vol. IV, appendix XVII). Later, it is also represented in the Book of Duarte de Armas, which will have reached Castelo de Vide in the middle of the year 1509 (CID, 2005). The perspective of both drawings only allows to identify the tower of the church, of cut similar to the others (church of Santa Maria and Saint John), erected during the reign of D. Manuel. The current ground-floor building results from the architectural and decorative campaign carried out in the seventeenth century, which integrated previous structural elements, namely the chancel, the triumphal arch and some side chapels.
 
Although there is no information about the organization of the early church, we believe that we should not depart much from what we know today. In this seventeenth-century campaign, the "carpet" tiles that cover the only church nave, the main chapel and the chapel of Saint Anthony go back to this seventeenth-century campaign. One of the patterns, identified by Santos Simões in his Corpus de Azulejaria of the seventeenth century, the P-431, is identical to that of the church of Nossa Senhora da Alegria, in the Castle. The placement of these tiles, dating not far from the second quarter of the seventeenth century, foresaw the later integration of the side altars and the altar dedicated to the Lady of the Incarnation, in granite of fine grain and with altar in painted carving, also baroque.
 
In fact, all architectural elements are integrated into the tile pattern through beams that surround them, which is not the case with the mentioned altars. The façade, facing south and with an excellent view of the Serra de São Paulo, presents a rectilinear portal, topped by a concha with cross and two side fireworks. At the top, and at the level of the choir, a square window is torn.
 
The crack on the left side illuminates the baptistery, and to the right stands the bell tower, with 19th-century Lisbon factory bells (TRINDADE 1981: 77).


A sua torre surge no desenho de Duarte de Armas, datado de cerca de 1509-1510, embora muito alteada face às dimensões reais que deveria apresentar. Destaca-se do casario que desce a encosta do Castelo juntamente com as torres das restantes igrejas paroquiais de São João e Santa Maria da Devesa.
 
O templo que hoje observamos resulta de uma campanha de obras do século XVII, valorizada por uma intervenção setecentista que dotou o seu interior dos retábulos e altares que ainda conserva e, em particular, da obra de pedraria que envolve a primeira capela da nave do lado da Epístola. Não é já possível determinar o que resta da igreja original, embora toda a área da capela baptismal, interiormente com vários desníveis e, no exterior, pouco simétrica em relação à fachada principal, possa indiciar ter sido este o núcleo primitivo. Este pano da frontaria surge mais largo do que se lhe opõe e serve de base à torre sineira.
 
Entre ambos, o alçado termina em empena, sendo aberto pelo portal, de verga recta e moldura de granito, e pelo janelão do coro. Apenas se destaca a cornija que remate o lintel do portal, saliente e com pináculos laterais, e, ao centro, uma vieira de grandes dimensões encimada por cruz de granito. A vieira, que evoca a dedicação da igreja a São Tiago, é o elemento que mais se distingue nesta composição, não devendo, no entanto, ser confundido com o símbolo da Ordem Militar cuja presença é desconhecida nesta região.
 
Os alçados laterais desenvolvem-se em vários planos que sugerem campanhas de obras, muito difícieis de identificar. No interior, de nave única com vários altares laterais, e capela-mor profunda, ganha especial interesse o revestimento azulejar de padrão que cobre o espaço, à excepção da abóbada do corpo e da capela baptismal. Trata-se de padrões muito comuns no século XVII, aplicados com um cuidado extremo, pois as cercaduras e frisos envolvem e integram todos os elementos arquitectónicos já existentes na igreja, entre os quais se incluem as vigas do tecto. Esta relação entre a arquitectura e a azulejaria permite, por outro lado, identificar obras posteriores, como os altares colaterais e o imponente arco de cantaria do lado da Epístola, já do século XVIII, pois a sua colocação obrigou à interrupção da sequência azulejar.
 
De acordo com as Memórias Paroquiais, assinadas pelo Prior Domingos de Figueiredo em 1758, a igreja dispunha de oito altares que hoje ainda se conservam na íntegra ou apenas parcialmente. Assim, do lado do Evangelho, abre-se a capela de Santo António de Lisboa, para a qual se abre, por sua vez, a capela baptismal com a pia em granito. Na parede oposta, observam-se vestígios do antigo altar de São Gregório "onde se não diz missa por ter pouco vão".
 
Nesta capela de Santo António, uma sepultura, no pavimento, permite identificar o seu instituidor, ou seja, o licenciado António de Carvalho Bleo e as suas três mulheres: ESTA SEPVLTVRA HE DO L Dº ANT DE CARVALHO BLEO NATVRAL DE NISA FEZ E ISTITVIO ESTA CAPELA E CASA QUI COM LIANOR FEZ (?) :SVIRMA :MOLHER :ISABEL TEMUDA 2ª BRIBADA GARCOA : 3ª : VIVEO ANOS :FALECEO A DIAS DO MES DE .DI.
 
Segue-se, na nave, o altar de Santa Teresa que, segundo o Prior Domingos de Figueiredo fora inicialmente dedicado a Santa Apolónia. Junto ao arco triunfal, o altar colateral invoca a Senhora do Amparo. Do lado oposto, o altar de Cristo Crucificado e logo de seguida a capela de Santa Ana, actualmente vazia, mas cuja imagem era originária de uma ermida com a mesma invocação que existia atrás do Castelo, mas que inicialmente havia sido dedicada a São Bento. Segue-se a capela da Senhora da Encarnação, cujo arco de cantaria trabalhada e encimada pela pomba do Espírito Santo, é elogiado nas Memórias Paroquiais: "de pedra lavrada à moderna e Arco e com sua tribuna de madeira dourada, e tem quatro missas pelas quatro festas do ano que lhe deixou uma devota uma propriedades que rendem cinco mil quinhentos reis, cada um ano". O púlpito, de planta rectangular, base em cantaria e grade de madeira simples, situa-se do lado do Evangelho, entre a capela de Santo António e a de Santa Teresa.
 
A capela-mor é coberta por cúpula de quatro nervuras assentes em mísulas, cuja pedra de fecho exibe uma coluna ladeada por vieiras, aludindo novamente a São Tiago. No altar-mor, em talha, as pinturas a óleo representam Nossa Senhora do Livramento ao centro, ladeada por São Mateus e por São João, encimadas por uma tela de remate semicírcular com a Adoração do Santíssimo. Por fim, e regressando à nave, a porta lateral foi certamente aberta em época posterior ao século XVII, como parecem demonstrar a pintura de marmoreados do arco e a inexistência de cercaduras de azulejo.
 
O mesmo se verifica em relação ao coro, com uma configuração inicial diferente da que se conhece actualmente, e apenas particalmente revestido por azulejos. Integralmente revestida por azulejo de padrão do século XVII, a Igreja de São Tiago constitui, com a Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Alegria e da Senhora da Penha, um significativo testemunho do gosto por este género de aplicação cerâmica, com padrões muito semelhantes entre si, na vila de Castelo de Vide. Muito embora não se conheça a data da primitiva edificação da igreja de São Tiago, esta já era mencionada no "Catálogo de todas as igrejas, comendas e mosteiros que havia nos reinos de Portugal e Algarves, pelos anos de 1320 e 1321, com a lotação de cada uma delas" (ALMEIDA, 1972, vol. IV, apêndice XVII). Mais tarde, surge também representada no Livro de Duarte de Armas, que terá chegado a Castelo de Vide a meio do ano de 1509 (CID, 2005).
 
A perspectiva de ambos os desenhos apenas permite identificar a torre da igreja, de recorte idêntico às restantes (igreja de Santa Maria e São João), erguidas durante o reinado de D. Manuel. O edifício actual de estilo chão, resulta da campanha arquitectónica e decorativa levada a cabo no século XVII, que integrou elementos estruturais anteriores, nomeadamente a capela-mor, o arco triunfal e algumas capelas laterais. Ainda que não subsistam informações sobre a organização da primitiva igreja, cremos que não se deverá afastar muito da que hoje conhecemos.
 
Remontam a esta campanha seiscentista os azulejos de tipo "tapete" que revestem a única nave da igreja, a capela-mor e a capela de Santo António. Um dos padrões, identificado por Santos Simões no seu Corpus de Azulejaria do século XVII, o P-431, é idêntico ao que reveste a igreja de Nossa Senhora da Alegria, no Castelo. A colocação destes azulejos, cuja datação não se deverá afastar muito do segundo quartel do século XVII, deixa antever a integração posterior dos altares colaterais e do altar dedicado à Senhora da Encarnação, em granito de grão fino e com altar em talha pintada, igualmente barroco.
 
De facto, todos os elementos arquitectónicos são integrados no padrão azulejar através de cercaduras que os contornam, o que não acontece com os altares referidos. A fachada, voltada a sul e com uma excelente vista para a Serra de São Paulo, apresenta um portal rectilíneo, encimado por uma concha com cruz e dois fogaréus laterais. Por cima, e ao nível do coro, rasga-se uma janela quadrada.
 
A fresta do lado esquerdo ilumina o baptistério, e à direita ergue-se a torre sineira, com sinos de fábrica lisboeta do século XIX (TRINDADE, 1981, p. 77).